Hair Care Routine For All Hair Types
Embarking on a hair care routine that is right for you is straight-up overwhelming. There's a lot to consider.
The first step is to figure out your hair type.
Then identify what products can solve your hair problems. Or what products you need to keep your tresses healthy.
Next, you dive into a deep dark web of google searches trying to figure out what products to trust. Are these products free from all the nasties (sulfates, parabens, etc.)? Are the ingredients safe? Are these going to work? Should I spend a whole lot of money, or are these completely overpriced?
Anyway, you could go on - but the point to ponder is that deciding what hair care advice is trustworthy is no easy feat.
One thing is for sure about hair care: The best advice comes from those who are seriously invested their time in hair care products and research.
We did all the hard work for you and come up with the best hair care plan for all hair types and every girl out there.
Let’s dive in.
What Should a Hair Care Routine Include?
Maintaining an effective hair care routine is as essential as following a skincare regimen - it keeps your tresses healthy, soft, free of greasiness, infections, and damage.
These pro tips are a must to keep those tresses shiny, healthy, and under control:
- Always allow your hair to dry naturally rather than exposing them to heating tools. Use heat tools only once in a while, along with the application of heat protection spray.
- Make it to a point to massage your hair using kalonji oil, seven herbal oil, or coconut oil - anyone that suits your hair at least once a week.
- Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle them.
- Applyan excellent leave-in serum for your hair.
- Never underestimate the power of a good trim. It keeps your hair healthy and helps it grow consistently.
- Consume vitamins and supplements for healthy hair.
What Are The Different Types of Hair?
If you want to have healthy and lustrous hair, the perfect way is to figure out your hair type. Now find the right kind of hair products and hair care routine. It helps in maintaining your hair. To determine your hair type, wash your hair and leave it without serum or conditioner. Now observe your hair pattern in the mirror.
There are four main types of hair:
If you notice your hair does not appear wavy or curly, it simply means that you have straight hair. Straight hair has the most sheen, resilience and is hard to damage. This hair type usually looks limp and flat because the natural oils produced by the scalp are spread evenly. Since straight hair does not have a curl pattern, they tend to appear slightly voluminous.
Curly hair looks like the letter “S.” In curly hair, you have curls from the midpoint to the ends. It is usually voluminous. This hair type is climate-dependent and can get damaged and become frizzy. Proper care is required to maintain well-defined and healthy curls.
Wavy hair type falls between straight and curly, and so it’s sheen. This hair type has a gentle and tousled texture. From the roots to your eye level, your hair is pretty straight. And from eye level to the ends, you have an undefined wave. Wavy hair is more likely to become frizzy than straight hair, and they are more resistant to styling.
Coily hair is also known as kinky hair. This type of hair is a cross between ‘S’ and ‘Z’ shaped curls that are frizzy and super tight, therefore, difficult to manage. It is usually fragile with a very high density. It shrinks when wet because it has fewer cuticle layers and is more susceptible to damage than other hair types.
Hair Care Routine According to Hair Types
Embarking on a hair care routine may seem a little daunting, especially when there are numerous options for people with the same hair type. Multiple factors make your hair strands strong and shiny; naturally, you have to put effort into your hair.
Here is a breakdown of everything you need to know to adopt the hair care routine that’s right for your hair type.
Hair Care Routine For Straight Hair
Frizz can strike for straight hair, too - too much dryness, heat styling, and too much brushing leads too much to poof. So to tame your frizzy straight hair and get the smooth and sleek look you crave, here are some things you can do:
- Don’t over-wash unless your hair gets greasy very quickly. On days when you skip shampoo, apply conditioner to keep the locks hydrated.
- Use dry shampoo that absorbs the excess oil while keeping your hair moisturized.
- Be smart with the flat iron as it can help tame flyaways and split ends, giving you a sleek and smooth style. Remember to use heat protection spray to create a barrier against heat damage and lock in moisture for shinier and softer locks.
- Avoid scorching your hair with hot water as it harms the delicate strands.
- Switch to a silk pillow cover. Cotton sheets tend to pull out hair strands resulting in tangled, frizzy, and messy hair in the morning.
Following these tips religiously will surely give you sleek, smooth, and frizz-free locks.
Hair Care Routine For Dry and Damaged Hair
There is nothing worse than accepting the damaged hair as your reality. And the truth is, damaged hair seeks special care. If you are battling with dry strands, split ends, and brittle hair, it is vital to fix your damaged hair via an effective hair care routine:
- Turn the dial down and wash your hair with lukewarm water the next time you shower.
- Always tangle your hair before washing it.
- Rock a braid of any type you fancy to keep the damaged strands off your face.
- Head to the salon for a regular trim - it eliminates split ends and enhances the overall beauty look.
- Brush your hair gently; in fact, just a few gentle strokes will do.
- Oiling is a must. Apply any of your favourite hair oil once a week for better results.
Hair Care Routine For Frizzy Hair
Frizziness and hair breakage is pretty common for all hair types. Tame your frizzy hair with this anti-frizz routine:
- Use a shampoo with a high concentration of glycerin. It fights the frizz penetrating the hair and keeps your hair hydrated.
- Hydration is the key to combat frizziness - add a hair mask to your hair care routine to keep your tresses adequately moisturized and less prone to damage.
- Trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to eliminate split ends, as frizziness is the primary cause.
- If brushing your hair makes it frizzier, use your fingers to detangle.
- Coconut oil is best for frizzy strands.
Hair Care Routine For Oily Hair
Out of all the common hair types, dealing with greasy strands is the most frustrating. So here is the best hair care routine that every oily-haired girl should live by to achieve a healthy and balanced mane:
- Condition your greasy strands to provide the healthy dose of nourishment, hydration, and protection that your hair can’t attain from shampoo alone.
- Use a hairbrush with boar bristles, as its fibers help pick up and distribute the natural oils throughout the hair.
- Stay away from styling products that are labeled “anti-frizz” or “shine-enhancing” as they contain a portion of some oil that ends up making your hair look more greasy.
- Avoid finger twirling and raking. Your fingertips also produce oil which can be easily transferred to your hair, making your grease problem even worse. So, hands-off
Hair Care Routine For Curly Hair
Dear curly hair girl, you almost always get compliments and eyeballs for your unique looks, which you dread managing. But, if there is a thin line between untamable curly hair and a good curly hair day, it is an effective hair care routine. Here are the tips to help you deal with it:
- Curly hair tends to be dry and excessive shampooing sucks out its natural moisture. The mantra is to shampoo your curly strands twice a week, accompanied by a conditioner.
- Please resist the urge to brush curly hair when they are wet. Use a wide-tooth comb or fingers to detangle them.
- Get your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks to keep your curls bouncy and healthy.
- Use the pineapple trick - pile all your hair on top of your head in a bun when you go to sleep.
Hair Care Routine For Wavy Hair
Maintaining wavy hair is the constant fight between frizz and undefined curls. Here are the best tips and techniques to keep your wavy strands fresh and healthy:
- Pre-poo your hair with a handful of oil before showering to protect your hair against any damages that shampooing may cause.
- Always pick sulfate-free shampoo to avoid dryness and scalp infection.
- Use your soft old tee to scrunch out water from your hair after a shower. Its smooth texture helps manage the wavy surface.
Hair Care Routine For Hair Growth
Though there is no way to grow your hair overnight, we can pace it up by growing only a few inches every month. The key is to understand that healthy hair = longer hair. Here are the miraculous tips to speed up your hair growth:
- Apply hair growth oils that are loaded with hydrating ingredients for a healthy scalp and hair strands.
- Caffeine proves to be an exotic ingredient if you are trying to have healthy hair. Add a caffeine-spiked product to your hair care routine.
- Follow a balanced diet with the addition of vitamins and supplements to boost hair growth.
- Shampoo less to lock in natural moisture.
How Can I Care For My Hair Daily? General Hair Care routine
It is every girl’s dream to have a thick mop of hair around her head. But achieving this may not be straightforward. An unhealthy lifestyle, diet, and using the wrong hair products can lead to lifeless hair strands. If you are also struggling with this problem, then the first thing you need to change is your daily hair care routine. From the texture of your hair to the styles you prefer, these elements will alter the routine you end up choosing.
Cleansing Is A Must
Cleansing is attaining the balance between removing dead skin and product residue without stripping the hair strand of its natural oils. Without a regular wash, sebum will build up at the hair follicles, leaving unwanted oiliness and a shabby look. Using a sulfate-free shampoo to clean your scalp is the best option. It washes away the excess oil and leaves you with a clean and fresh scalp. Most importantly, the shampoo also removes dead skin cells from the scalp and helps the tresses grow without obstructions.
Pro Tip: Avoid hot water for washing your scalp, as it can damage your hair strands.
Condition your Hair
Shampoo cleanses the scalp and hair, but there might be a chance that your hair has been stripped of its oil. However, it is imperative to use a conditioner to replenish the moisture that shampoo may have removed from your strands.
Hair conditioners have myriad benefits. The most important one is moisturizing, but others include shininess, detangling, and frizz reduction.
Style And Protect Simultaneously
Our hair is often exposed to heat from hairdryers, straighteners, curling tongs, and more. It causes damage to the hair structure and leaves them prone to split ends and breakage.
Thanks to several tools, volumizers, gels, and heat protection sprays, you can style your hair any way you want.
Spot-treatment means treating only a particular area that is bothering you. For instance, if you are tired of frizziness in your hair, get yourself a protein treatment.
Or, you have noticed that your scalp is flaky and dry, so applying a nourishing product in that area can serve the purpose.
Make Sure You Are Getting these Nutrients in Your Diet
Your hair care routine is a complete fail if it doesn’t include the intake of proper nutrients. It may be the most crucial point!
If you want healthy and lustrous tresses, ensure that diet incorporates all the essential nutrients:
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin E
- Omega 3 fatty acids
Pro Tip: If your hair care routine is not helping your damaged hair, consider taking a daily dose of vitamins and supplements for an extra boost of nutrients.
The order of routine matters the most, and consistency is the key.
You will not witness miraculous results overnight - although the effects of styling products and hair masks can be immediately noticeable. But it takes time for your hair to get used to a new routine and reap the benefits. Figuring out a hair care routine may take a couple of weeks. But once sorted, you are well on the way to getting the hair you deserve.